Position: Associate Scientific Director
Job ID: #DIS000397
Primary location: Philadelphia, PA
Are you someone who combines a deep understanding of medical science with an interest in working in a creative environment? Do you enjoy finding new and creative ways to look at, think about, simplify, visualize and communicate medical scientific information and concepts? Do you enjoy working in a collaborative, fast-paced environment, alongside people with a rich variety of skill sets and perspectives? In other words, do you want to be a medical science change agent? If so, then this could be the perfect career choice for you.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the scientific and medical strategy team at Discovery Worldwide, as it seeks to evolve its capabilities and continue to establish a reputation as a truly differentiated, world-class medical scientific strategy team.
Position Summary: The Associate Scientific Director is responsible for managing the writing aspects of medical advertising and medical communications materials developed and produced by Discovery Worldwide, as well as for providing scientific and medical expertise for all projects. This includes original content development, faculty and client support and communications, and collaborating with other content developers. The incumbent is responsible for the quality, scientific and medical accuracy and integrity, and timeliness of assigned projects. To accomplish these tasks, the Associate Scientific Director will interact in person and remotely with scientific, account, and project team members, clients, and healthcare provider experts.
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding of assigned therapeutic area(s).
- Participates in meetings and strategic discussions with clients.
- Participates in the execution of established deliverables required for various programs and projects, adhering to project parameters including deadlines, budget, and content specifications
- Manages the development and completion of medical advertising and medical communications projects, including writing, editing, client and faculty approvals, and production; and is responsible for the quality, scientific and medical accuracy and integrity, and timeliness of assigned projects.
- Defines, identifies and works with clients and faculty on the development of medical advertising and medical communications materials including: peer-to-peer programming content, advisory board content and other materials.
- Prepares a range of meeting summaries (e.g. executive summaries, top line summaries, highlights).
- Assists client team and faculty with pre-program content development (e.g. slides, etc.) with regard to issues of presentation content, length, and content overlap with other presenters, and meeting program objectives.
- Participates in new program concept development.
- Assures that written materials meet project objectives and contain appropriate scientific and medical messages, marketing messages and objectives when available.
- Manages on-site slide review with client team, and other faculty presenters as applicable.
- Initiates discussions with the account team regarding any potential barriers to successful project completion that may arise (deadline, hours, budget, etc.) and suggests solutions that address client and Discovery Worldwide needs.
- Adheres to project parameters including deadlines, budget, and content limitations.
- Tracks the work of researchers, copyeditors and freelance writers/editors throughout the development process to ensure on-time delivery.
- Travels to and manages on-site editorial needs for live meetings.
- Adheres to all Discovery Worldwide policies and procedures
Direct Reports: None
Education: PharmD, MD, or PhD in Life Sciences.
- Minimum of one to two (1-2) years of clinical, writing, publishing, marketing/strategic planning and/or pharmaceutical experience.
- Experience in pharmaceutical advertising, promotional medical communication or continuing medical education is preferred.
- Therapeutic area experience in oncology is a plus, but not required.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and interpret scientific and medical data.
- Demonstrated organizational, analytical, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects with limited direction and work within tight deadlines.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- PowerPoint proficiency required.